1. Here’s what makes the Solo: A Star Wars Story trailer seem so dull.
“Star Wars will always trade on the past — even the originals assumed classic imagery from movie serials and archetypal stories was soaked into our brain — but Solo may have found the limit to how often it can be recycled and sold back to us this blatantly.”
2. The real reason HAL’s voice seems so disturbing? It’s Canadian.
“Kubrick was attracted to Mr. Rain for the role partly because the actor “had the kind of bland mid-Atlantic accent we felt was right for the part,” he said in the 1969 interview with Mr. Gelmis. But Mr. Rain’s accent isn’t mid-Atlantic at all; it’s Standard Canadian English.”
3. This ancient middle finger fossil could rewrite human history.
“It’s just a lone, boney middle finger, but the scientists who found it say it’s the oldest directly dated fossil of our species to ever be found outside of Africa and the Levant, a region that today comprises Israel, Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan.”
4. Fleetwood Mac to Lindsey Buckingham: “Go Your Own Way.”
“Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band’s upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.”
5. This is the richest man in fashion.
“Bernard Arnault is now officially the wealthiest man in fashion, knocking Zara boss Amancio Ortega off the top spot.”