There’s a reason why the “Golden Age” of Hollywood remains the best dressed in everyone’s mind. No matter how many decades pass, characters like Marlon Brando’s Johnny Strabler, James Dean’s Jim Stark and Humphrey Bogart’s Rick Blaine, remain pillars of classic style. We doubt Robert Pattinson will hold as much sway in 50 years.
As a way to celebrate effortlessly cool guys of the past, we want to show you how you can achieve their same look in a modern way. In choosing our inaugural style icon, we decided to look no further than the most badass man in the business: Clint Eastwood’s Dirty Harry.
1. A crisp white shirt is a must with any suit but we decided to drop the layered red sweater vest to update it. (BOSS slim fit spread collar dress shirt, $145)
2. The essence of Harry Callahan is his tweed suit. No matter how many street thugs he threatens with a maybe-loaded gun, his blazer game is on point. (Tiger of Sweden Hoyt blazer, $549)
3. So attached is he to his suit, he refuses to let a doctor cut it off after he’s been shot in the leg. That’s dedication to a look. (Tiger of Sweden Herris pant, $229)
4. For someone who was as uptight as Harry, he wasn’t afraid to add a hint of colour to his suit in the form of a red, patterned tie. We say, go for it. (Ralph Lauren silk repp narrow tie, $125)
5. You probably won’t put as many miles on your shoes as a detective chasing down a crazy killer, but that’s no reason no to get ones that are just as cool looking. (Tiger of Sweden Jones shoe in calf leather, $315)